Re: Idea

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 01:42:16PM +0100, Martin Oberzalek <> said
> Yes it works.

So it does.

> I wrote such kind of client - listener communiction support.
> I used the X properties/client messages to support that feature.
> It uses XAtoms and shared memory to communicate.
> How it works:
>  The "client" application has a function which can be called from any
>  other application. To register this function an XAtom message is
>  send through the XServer.

I'm guessing you mean that you set a property on the window.

>  All aplications which want to use the function are getting a
>  structure with the pointer to a shared memory where the name
>  of the function is stored; and a callback function.
>  If the callbackfunction is called a X-message is sent
>  back to the client application where the real callbackfunction
>  will called.

Couldn't it all be done with properties or CORBA, shared memory has the
problem of only being accessible to clients running on the same machine.

> I attached a well working example with that message...
> Can that be a gnome feature? Is that the right way?
> Any thoughts?

It works okay, but as I said above, it uses shared memory, which has
limitations.  I'm not sure but there might also be some portability problems
with shared memory too.

Geoffrey Reedy                   Student Network System Administrator                    Illinois Math and Science Academy

"Unix-to-Unix Copy Program;" said PDP-1.  "You will never find a more
wretched hive of bugs and flamers.  We must be cautious."
				-- DECWARS