Re: Packaging formats

Matthew C Barry wrote:

> Packaging is definitely cool, but .deb is LIGHT YEARS ahead of .rpm.  I
> mean, keeping rpm compatibility is... neato.  But... debian packages are
> simply better, in many respects (not the least of which is that if you

Hm. I use Debian packages on Solaris (historical reasons and it's an old
version of dpkg). Beside plain bugs, the biggest problems I've seen are:

1) you can't install a package at the different location or ask for
   a parent directory to do the install.
2) you can't install two or more versions of the same package (either
   different version numbers or the same at a different locations)
3) you can't add a file created in postinst script to the package database

Have these been resolved?

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.