Re: Why does not my statusbar msg's display in time ?

Thanks ... I think that would work better !!! Well... I am new at both Linux
and programming GNOME so i feel a bit lost in all this... Where do I find Doc
on fork() and exex() ? I can't find it on the net ? I know this is a bit
offtopic but do www.gtk.org work for you all ? I can't get into that page ...

/Magnus

James Henstridge wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Magnus [iso-8859-1] Wirström wrote:
>
> > Hi Again !!!
> >
> > I have a problem .... I am trying to get a message in a statusbar before
> > I am calling a system() command... well ... it looks something like this
> > :

> >     gnome_app_flash(GNOME_APP(app), "Message");
> >     system("consol command");
> >
> > Well... this should not be a problem... but the consol command I am
> > running is taking some time to execute so I want the message to be
> > displayed before it runs it. In some way it ends up in not displaying
> > the message before it execute the system() command, but after it instead
> > ... do anyone have an idea why ? or another way to do this that might
> > work better ? Or should I put some kind of delay in there before I run
> > the system() command? I tried sleep(10); but it didn't work !
>
> Are you sure you want to use system()?  You do know that your app won't be
> able to do anything while the command you ran with system() is running,
> don't you (this includes redrawing if part of the app gets
> obscured).  Maybe you should look at using fork() and exec() to start the
> program, along with a SIGCHLD handler to catch its death (at which point
> you use wait() to clean it up).
>

> > Thanks =)
> > /Magnus
> > ICQ 5077127
> >
> > --
> > Magnus Wirström
> > Alien Software Development
> > Linux developer
>
> James.
>
> --
> Email: james@daa.com.au
> WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/

Magnus Wirström
Alien Software Development
Linux developer

Linux is like a wigwam ...
No gates, No windows and an Apache inside....

begin:vcard
n:Wirström;Magnus
tel;cell:+46704998120
tel;fax:+461166341
tel;home:+461166341
tel;work:+46704998120
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:home.bip.net/asd
org:Alien Software Development
version:2.1
email;internet:asd@mail.bip.net
title:System Programmer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Korsbyggevägen 6;=C5by;;616 34;Sweden
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Magnus Wirström
end:vcard