displaying 16bit RGB data with gdk_draw_indexed_image

Thanks to all those who have offered suggestions. I have managed to
display 24bit RGB data.
My only problem is its a bit slow and I have an awful lot of it to
process. However I may be
able to get away with 16bit RGB data, if I could find a way to display
it. I suspect the
gdk_draw_indexed_image may have some significance, but the method of
displaying 16 bit
RGB data isnt exactly evident.

Can anyone offer a method of having one of the gdkrgb functions take
16bit data as input??

Thanks

PS. if anyone else is developing video display, image processing software
I would be interested
in bouncing ideas.

Regards
Andrew Price