Re: [Gnome-print] Re: GnomeFont state of affairs

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 12:13:30PM -0700, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> -> > > > > I think we need parity of goals here.  My goal is to make GNOME
> -> > > > > succeed, to make it ubiquitous, and to make it the best desktop
> -> > > > > environment in the world.
> -> > > >
> -> > > > That's a stupid goal. The goal should be to make free software
> -> > > > succeed. GNOME is a means to an end. Don't lose sight of that.
>
> 	Since when is Gnome a pawn in the FSF's political agenda?  I've
> been a proponent of Gnome because I want a desktop that doesn't suck.

GNOME is the GNU desktop. It is part of the GNU project. That has always
been the intention. If this makes it a `pawn' then I guess its a pawn.
After all the FSF's agenda is to deliver a complete Free Software system.

> Speaking as an enduser, I could care less about whether or not Gnome
> advances the GPL or FSF.

I began using GNOME because it is part of the GNU project I guess I'm naive,
but I thought freedom was what brought most users - or at least developers
to GNOME.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700