Re: CD keys and GTCD

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 08:45:08PM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:

>::sigh:: That sucks.  I wonder if I can find out how they work....
> Do you think Compaq would actually tell me [ how the "CD" keyboard
> keys work ]?  ;-)

There's not much to tell.  The keyboard sends a couple of bytes each
time a key is pressed or released.  See the showkeys man page to find
out what bytes get sent.  The tricky part is propagating these
key codes up through the OS, X, and to your WM so that they can be
acted upon.

Check out the man pages for showkeys, xmodmap, anything that "apropos
key" finds, and all the "See also" sections in all of these man
pages.  It will take some effort, but if you really want to plough
through all this, you should be able to get these keys to do whatever
you want.

-- John Kodis.