GnomeCanvas vs. gtk-drawing-area (fwd)

This didn't get through the first time, so I'm resending it.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:29:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Jacques Fortier <jfortier@cran>
To: gnome-devel-list@gnome.org
Subject: GnomeCanvas vs. gtk-drawing-area

Hi,
	I'm working on a program that currently uses a GtkDrawingArea to
render artwork, and I'm considering switching to GnomeCanvas.  However, I
want to make sure that the canvas is fast enough for my needs.  I'm doing
animation, and updating 40 times per second, so I use a dirty rectangle to
minimize the rendering to the screen as much as possible.  Since I have a
large background image that will cover the entire canvas, I'm worried that
the canvas might try to update the whole thing every time, which would be
a real drag.  Is this the case, or is the canvas smarter than this?  Is
the canvas what I want to use here, or is there something better?

Thanks,
	Jacques Fortier