Slightly OFF: difference between lib.a lib.la lib.so

can someone explain me shortly the diferrence beetween libraries with the .a
.la and .so extensions. How do you create each one of them...

I have the following problem, on my distro (Mandrake 7.0 and 7.1), I have
the Mesa libraries but the libGL.a is missing. When I try to link with gcc
it answers me it "cannot find -lGL"

How do I create the libGL.a ?

Cheers..

Franck Martin
Database Development Officer
SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
Fiji
E-mail: franck@sopac.org <mailto:franck@sopac.org>
Web site: http://www.sopac.org/ <http://www.sopac.org/>

This e-mail is intended for its recipients only. Do not forward this
e-mail without approval. The views expressed in this e-mail may not be
neccessarily the views of SOPAC.