Some proposed package removals and additions

I'd like to propose a few changes for GNOME 1.4, relative to the GNOME
1.2 package list. Comments on any of the proposals are welcome. I give
the short versions first, then the detailed versions. Also, please
give proposals for any other packages that you think should be added,
removed, upgraded, etc.

For each of these, I will add it to the target package list next
Friday unless it becomes clear by then that we don't have consensus on
any given item.

Feel free to add corrections, etc.

1) Add gtk--

Rationale: We promised Karl Nelson to get it in for 1.2, but we never
did that. It shouldn't be hard to rectify this mistake now.

2) Add Nautilus and dependenceis, and drop gmc

Reationale: Nautilus is the primary reason for the 1.4 release, and
obsoletes gmc

3) Add Mozilla

Rationale: This will doubtless be controversial. However, Nautilus
depends on Mozilla for it's web browing functionality, and we have
previously announced that we plan to intergrate Mozilla more. Maybe
now is the time. Of course, this is worth discussing with the
mozilla.org people to make sure it's OK with them. It is pretty
certain we would have to ship a milestone release of some sort. I
propose non-critical level for this since we can always tell users to
get mozilla separately.

4) Add Evolution and dependencies

Rationale: It should be ready at about the right time, and GNOME is
right now missing a good email application, a critical component of a
good desktop. Also, many of the dependencies are shared with Nautilus
anyway. I propose that we add this at non-critical level - we will try
to arrange the schedule to fit in Evolution, but if it would end up
delaying the release, we'd be prepared to ship without it.

-------------------------

Detailed versions:

1) Add gtk--

Name: gtk--
Version: 1.2.1
New Release Needed: No (I think)
Critical: (N/A - no new release is needed)
Contact: Karl Nelson <kenelson@ece.ucdavis.edu>

2) Add nautilus and dependencies

Name: nautilus
Version: 0.1
New Release Needed: yes
Critical: Yes
Contact: Darin Adler <darin@eazel.com>

Name: ORBit
Version: 0.5.3 (last release has 0.5.1)
New Release Needed: unknown
Critical: possibly, depends on if we find out we need a new relase
Contact: Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>

Name: gnome-libs
Version: 1.2.4
New Release Needed: doubtful
Contact: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@helixcode.com>
Comment: last release has 1.2.0 - not sure if nautilus really depends
on the new version, but that is what we have tested against.

Name: oaf
Version: 0.5.1
New Release Needed: yes
Critical: yes
Contact: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@eazel.com>
Comment: We anticipate the need for at least one API addition before 1.4

Name: gconf
Version: 0.8
New release needed: unknown
Critical: depends on if we need a new release
Contact: Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com>

Name: gdk-pixbuf
Version: 0.9
New release needed: unknown
Critical: depends on if we need a new release
Contact: Federico Mena-Quintero <federico@helixcode.com>

Name: gnome-print
Version: 0.20.0
New Release needed: yes
Critical: yes
Contact: ???
Comments: we depend on this only because Bonobo does.

Name: control-center
Version: 1.2.1
New release needed: yes
Critical: yes
Contact: ??
Comment: We need a version which drops the old mime type capplet and
         adds the new, gnome-vfs compatible one.

Name: gnome-vfs
Version: 0.3.1
New release needed: yes
Contact: Pavel Cisler <pavel@eazel.com>, Ettore Perazzoli <ettore@helixcode.com>
Critical: yes

Name: bonobo
Version: 0.17
New Release Needed: yes
Critical: no
Contact: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@helixcode.com>, Michael Meeks <michael@helixcode.com>

Name: libglade
Version: 0.14
New release needed: yes (bonobo will change)
Critical: yes
Contact: James Henstridge <jamseh@daa.com.au>

Name: gtkhtml
Version: 0.6
New Release needed: yes (bonobo will change)
Critical: yes
Larry Ewing: <lewing@helixcode.com>
Comment: we might drop the gtkhtml dependency entirely

Name: eog
Version: 0.4
Critical: yes
Contact: Federico Mena-Quintero <federico@helixcode.com>
Comment: not strictly needed, but nautilus image viewing depends on it

Name: xpdf
Version: ??
Critical: ??
Contact: Michael Meeks <michael@helixcode.com>
Comment: not strictly needed, but nautilus PDF viewing depends on it

Name: medusa
Version: 0.2
New Release Needed: yes
Critical: yes
Contact: Rebecca Schulman <rebecka@eazel.com>
Comment: we need this for Nautilus search functionality

3) Add Mozilla

Name: Mozilla
Version: who knows?
Critical: no
Contact: dunno, we should ask mozilla.org who wants to be GNOME
         contact.

4) Add Evolution and dependencies (I'm going to skip the details for
   ones already listed for Nautilus)

Name: evolution
Version: 0.4
New Version Needed: yes
Critical: no (or at least so I propose)
Contact: Ettore Perazzoli <ettore@helixcode.com>

Shared deps with nautilus: gnome-xml, gnome-print, gdk-pixbuf, ORBit, oaf, gnome-vfs, bonobo, gconf, gtkhtml, libglade

Name: libunicode
Version: 0.3
New Version Needed: ???
Contact: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> (??)

Name: pilot-link
Version: ?? (is the one on gnome-cvs up to date?)
Contact: ??
Comment: only needed for Pilot support

Name: gnome-pilot
Version: 0.1.54