Re: More Political Stuff

> On 25 Aug 2000, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > > I'm curious to hear what has been rushed, in your opinion.
> >
> > In a few years, an awesome desktop has been put together.  So many
> > features, libraries, etc. have been created for an excellent desktop and
> > development.  But a lot of the flaws I see, a lot of the design issues
> > that we are reworking (replacing gmc, goad, etc.) I feel like it was
> > rushed, and we might not have to be replacing so much right now but
> > instead developing a rock-solid system.  Instead we're spending a lot of
> > time right now fixing a lot of old design flaws, replacing them with
> > better architectures that would allow us to make REALLY nifty stuff in a
> > year or so... but if we had slowed down a tad bit, and not made of the
> > design flaws we had, perhaps we could have been doing the nifty stuff in
> > only a month or two... sort of.. see my point?  Now that i've woken up I
> > think I've lost it...
>
> You're on crack. :)

I thought someone's been putting something strangen my food... ~,^

> The reason things like GOAD and GMC are getting replaced is not because
> they were rushed initially, but because we now have the experience to know
> better.
>
> For example, GOAD definitely wasn't rushed, but there is NO way I could
> have ever hoped to make OAF suck as little as it does without having
> endured a year of GOAD's limitations. I'm sure in a year or two, OAF will
> need replacing or revamping with an even better solution (I already know
> of a possible problem or two that has caught my eye).

Hmm, my old 'mentor' always said that careful planning would ensure that
you could get things right, and I've followed that rule very much; most
systems I design AFTER sitting down and thinking about them turn out
very well.  Its the ones I rush through that I always end up rewriting..

> At the time, GMC seemed like a very good idea - we would get to reuse code
> from mc and build a nice file manager - but we learned about the other
> problems once things were in a working state.

That makes more sense, I suppose.

> The problem is not that things were rushed, but that it is impossible to
> produce a perfect design without infinite experience, and humans are
> neither perfect nor infinite.

Are you saying I'm not perfect?  ~,^

Alright, you win, I rushed to the conclusion...  I'm afraid I do that a
little more than I should for my own good.

Sean Etc.