Re: Directories/Files

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 10:18:14AM +1000, Nathan Hurst <njh@hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au> said

> I've often wondered why the file open stuff was different to the gmc stuff
> - on the mac it was the same, why was the File Open dialog different to a
> Finder window?

AFAIK Windows 95 and later are the only operating systems to use the same
component for opening/saving a file as the default filemanager, and there are
some problems with this.  For a case study on the UI design of the Windows 95
common file dialogs look at http://www.iarchitect.com/file95.htm
Common dialogs are nice, but they must be implemented properly.

--
Geoffrey Reedy                                       vader21@imsa.edu

"Unix-to-Unix Copy Program;" said PDP-1.  "You will never find a more
wretched hive of bugs and flamers.  We must be cautious."
				-- DECWARS