Re: Gnome key bindings (was Re: gnome keys sucks)

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 04:25:24PM +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 11:53:09AM +0100 or thereabouts, Michael ROGERS wrote:
> > The KDE standard key bindings are listed at
> > <http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/standard-keys.html>.
> > I propose we shamelessy copy them for our own benefit.  :)

ok, ui wise i agree that gnome should have a standard.  and since any
standard is as good as another, politically it would be wise to have it
be like kde.  at the moment my isdn line is down and my 28.8 modem is up,
so i'm not really visiting web pages right now, but based off telsa's
comments and my own misgivings, i think the one problem with standards
is that they'll irk people.

now i'm not going to suggest the normal unix solution: wimp out and
don't make a decision.  what might be nice is instead of key bindings
each application should make concept bindings.  i'm binding "File->New
spreadsheet" to the new-document concept.  i'm binding "File->Open
Location" to the open-file concept.  and this would be done the same way
keybindings are done (speaking as someone who hasn't really done them).

then in the control-center you offer some section on keybindings.
a way for people to pick "kde-like", "windows-like", "mac-like", etc.

there's the issue of app unique key-bindings and clashing, but how many
are there really?

anyway i know there's a lot of work hiding in these paragraphs, but i
think this is a very important part of the ideas behind theming.

kevin

--
kevin@suberic.net        perl -e 'print(map{chr($a+=$_)}(119,-18,7,0,-64,-12
fork()'ed on 37058400    ,79,-1,-2,13,-89,83,-4,-2,-8,15,-11,4,-8,14,-105))'
 >> want privacy? www.gnupg.org or www.pgp.com.  encrypted mail preferred <<

PGP signature