Re: Gnome key bindings (was Re: gnome keys sucks)

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 11:53:09AM +0100 or thereabouts, Michael ROGERS wrote:
> > The KDE standard key bindings are listed at
> > <http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/standard-keys.html>.
> > I propose we shamelessy copy them for our own benefit.  :)
> Whilst I just _know_ I should stay out of this, I am not sure that
> you get any benefit here except that it at least creates one area
> where GNOME and KDE do the same thing (at least as far as the user
> is concerned.)
> The only trouble is that I assume these must be Windows bindings,
> cos they look pretty weird to me. And Binding anything to ^S is just
> asking for trouble. Wait until someone hits that in gnome-terminal :)
> (The mutt-users list has had "I tried to rebind this macro to ^S
> and it hangs mutt" more than once as a Really Serious Bug.) Or would
> it actually take over and do 'save' even if you hit ^S in gnome-terminal?
[..]

Independent of any opinion of how are they key bindings in other desktops,
I think that in GNOME can and must have a more intelligent. It has to copy
some things from other desktop (because many user are familiar with some
bindings), but there must be an improvement in areas were the others are
weak.

Please, don't do a plain copy from some desktop without improvement or
without rethinking a title.

Aldrin.