Finding out the background pixmap

     Hello,
	I'm trying to obtain a pointer to the GdkPixmap that is currently
being used for the background image by Gnome.

	I tried creating a new GC and the probing it with

gc = gdk_gc_new( GDK_ROOT_PARENT() );
gdk_gc_get_values(gc, &values);
root_bg_pixmap = values.tile;

	...but 'root_bg_pixmap' turns out to be NULL.  So, what am I doing
wrong?

	Another oddity: I've written a program which sets the background
image of the GDK_ROOT_PARENT() GdkWindow with

gdk_window_set_back_pixmap(root_window, pixmap, FALSE);

	But when I set the background of Gnome Terminal to be
"transparent", it still uses the pixmap I set with the Gnome Control
Panel.  I.e., it doesn't really look transparent, but instead looks like
it *would* look transparent if I never ran my background-setting program
and the Gnome background were the one shown on the screen.  Eterm behaves
the same way.

	Can someone explain to me how the Root background image is
handled/obtained?

Thanks,
Derek Simkowiak
dereks@kd-dev.com