Re: helix setup tools?

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 03:28:16PM -0700, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> -> > (RMS:) That is the way we do things now.  The contributor always has the
> -> > option of using his own contribution in any way whatever.  That's
> -> > because our assignment contracts explicitly say so.
>
> 	My understanding of that is as follows:
>
> 	Since the FSF will always use its copyright to license software
> under the GPL, if you create a derived work--even if it's your own code to
> begin with--you must still distribute that "derived work" under the GPL.
>
> 	Can somebody contest this?  What, exactly, does their assignment
> contract say (and is there a URL for it)?
>

>From the FSF's assignment form:

http://gcc.gnu.org/fsf-forms/assign.changes

			    ASSIGNMENT

For good and valuable consideration, receipt of which I acknowledge, I,
NAME OF PERSON, hereby transfer to the Free Software Foundation, Inc. (the
"Foundation") my entire right, title, and interest (including all rights
under copyright) in my changes and enhancements to the program NAME OF
PROGRAM, subject to the conditions below.  These changes and enhancements
are herein called the "Work".  The work hereby assigned shall also include
any future revisions of these changes and enhancements hereafter made by me.

Upon thirty days' prior written notice, the Foundation agrees to
grant me non-exclusive rights to use the Work (i.e. my changes and
enhancements, not the program which I enhanced) as I see fit; (and the
Foundation's rights shall otherwise continue unchanged).

So as the original author of the code, you are not bounded by the GPL but have
the right to use it as you see fit, including distributing under different
licenses...

(My interpretion only.  I have no relation to the FSF)