Re: GNOME and DOS

Hello,

Vikas Yadav wrote:

> "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" wrote:
> >
> > On 08/01/00 09:49:11 -0700 Charles Iliya Krempeaux <aliensoldier@home.com>
> > wrote:
> > +-----
> > | I'd imagine DOS having...
> > |
> > |       o no shared libraries
> > |       o no long file names (... DOS has the 8.3 format)
> Reading the FAT in raw from disk without the use of INT21h?
> > |       o no multitasking
> This is where I think the world stops for DOS. I do not know there is
> any
> native multitaking kernel in dos at all.
> > |       o no protected memory spaces
> DJGPP is expert in protected mode (DPMI)
> > |       o no multiuser system (... that's probably not a big deal)
> > |
> > | Would make GNOME running on DOS difficult.
> > +--->8
> >
> > But not impossible.  Check around for copies of DESQview/X 2.x; it gives
> > you  the first three plus a working X server, and you should be able to
> > still find the djgpp development libraries for it.
> >
> > --
> > brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]    allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
> > system administrator        [WAY too many hats]          allbery@ece.cmu.edu
> > electrical & computer engineering                                      KF8NH
> > carnegie mellon university      ["better check the oblivious first" -ke6sls]
>
> When I tried to compile GTK+ the problem was "-lXt" as the first reply
> said Xwindows
> and this libxt.a both are no where near DOS.
> I do not know anything about Xwindows and GTK cannot live without it.

GTK *can* live without the 'X Windows System'.  But that's where some work
comes in!  This is the part that you'd have to 'port'.  You need to use some
graphics library for DOS, and then replace the 'X Windows System' stuff
with calls to that DOS-graphics-library (that you choose).  (Maybe Allegro
or something.)

This type of thing has already been done to port GTK to Win32.  (I think
originally, the Win32 port replaced the 'X Windows System' stuff with calls
to the GDI, and then replaced that with DirectDraw... but I'm not sure.)

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux