That attachment I mentioned...

Sorry, I forgot to attach the file. It's there this time.

Yours,

Chris.

>I was thinking, there's no reason we can't have a longer intro to GNOME and
>the FSF, we'd just have to put the links to the other help files first so
>people don't have to scroll a long way down the page to get to them. See
>an altered page based on attached. Tell me what you think.
>
>Yours,
>
>Chris.
>
>Hugo, I was very careful to write and GNU/Linux for you!

Title: GNOME Project
[ GNOME Logo by Tigert ]

HELP INDEX

GNOME User's Guide
Man PagesInfo PagesGNOME Documents
Philosophy

GNOME is free software, meaning that you have the freedom to distribute copies of it (and charge for this service if you wish), to have access to it's source code, and to change it or use pieces of it in a new free program(see the GNU General Public License).

GNOME is part of the GNU Project, which was founded in 1985 by Richard Stallman, in an effort to re-establish the co-operative spirit of progammers which dissapeared with the growth in proprietry software. The FSF's aim was to build a complete UNIX clone, and it has nearly reached this goal, as most of the GNU/Linux operating system(apart from the Linux Kernel)has been written by it, along with many programs that are widely used and have been ported to a number of platforms, such as the gcc compiler. GNU will be an Operating System in its own right in a year or two when the Hurd(a modular UNIX kernel) is finished. The FSF always needs more help so if you have some spare time please visit the GNU website and see what you can do.
For more on these topics, please read the Philosophy section.