Re: w-in-W mdi

u07ih@abdn.ac.uk wrote:

> George wrote
> > So as long as it's not the default but something the user must expend effort
> > towards turning it on, it's ok by me.
>
> Well, as I wanted to say the last time (and probably did say to some people at
> GUADEC) if we want this type of MDI then we should remove this function
> gnome_mdi_set_mode. This allows the programmer to set what MDI mode the program
> uses, overriding the users preferences.
>
> I would also say that all functions that allow programmers to programatically
> override the users preferences (from the control centre capplets), should be
> depreciated for GNOME-libs2
>
> iain

Well, there are uses for it. Say, for example, a Napster client use
GnomeMDI? I would want it to use Notebook by default, whereas with gEdit
and (again, for example) a GnomeMDI terminal emmulator, I would want it
to use Toplevel/SDI.

I just think that the programmer should not be able to override the
user's preference for this particular type (which I don't think should
be implemented at all, given the technical difficulties in doing it, and
the PR hit we would receive in the eyes of both the users and the WM
developers).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill