Re: System administration with GNOME.

Michael Livshin wrote:

> Lauris Kaplinski <lauris@ariman.ee> writes:
>
> > Imagine config file:
> >
> > Option A
> > Option C
> >
> > Where C is compatible with A, but incompatible with B
> > If configurator does not understand C, letting it as it is, and user
> > chooses B, we get file
> >
> > Option B
> > Option C
> >
> > Which may be not the thing, what you wanted.
> >
> > Maybe this is only theoretical example, as I cannot at moment find any
> > such config file...
>
> well, that's the "total comprehension" problem.  once you totally
> comprehend all of sendmail.cf options, you have implemented something
> approaching sendmail intself in complexity.
>
> really, you people should just stop being in denial and put pressure
> on {sendmail,apache,exim,...} authors to move to regularized and
> externally parseable config file formats.  else your config tool will
> just be in eternal race with the programs it configures, and it will
> lose it, too.

I agree absolutely with this. The problem of UNIX is the quantity of
strange
configuration files for every program. We should try to first create
some
standard configuration files/schemes for simpler applications, and then
in
the future, sendmail, apache, etc... could move to the gnome
configuration
style.