make dist

I sent a mail like this a couple of weeks ago but I got no
replys. The tarballs that are created are not always correct.
Sometimes the .spec files are not correct. It looks like someone is
making tarfiles by tar:ing down the directory by hand instead of
using "make dist".

For example gnome-libs-1.0.40 is like that. As it is in the ftp-area you
can not use rpm -ta to build a .rpm since the .spec is wrong. But with
the following steps it works perfectly:

untar <tarball>
configure
make dist
rpm -ta <resulting tarball>

So how is the tarballs created and who is it that creates them?

/Dennis