Re: Information Applet Thingy

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> Sean Middleditch <sean.middleditch@iname.com> writes:
>

> > But applets just place themselves on the panel wherever they wish.  What I'm
> > decribing would allow users to specify the icons to only appear in one
> > particular place, and say make it so all icons have so many pixels of area to
> > be displayed, and the user could scroll through them, etc.  Plus the user would
> > be able to just not have the applet running and thus there'd be no icons if the
> > user didn't want them, or be able to shrink/expand the list to any size.
>
> mm. This a panel issue: just rewrite a new panel which  forbids icons
> movements... *grin*

That isn't quite what I was saying.

OK, everyone, look at KDE.  See how on the main bar, in the lower-right hand
corner, by the date and time, there's a little box?  Open the CD player, or an
internet connection through KPPP.  A little icon appears in that box, doing
nothing more than giving the user a little bit of information.  That's what I
am talking about.  I don't want to forbid applet movement, because applets are
NOT what I'm talking about here.  Just a simple for way for ANY program to
easily place a bit information in a user-controlled manner on the panel,
without needing it's own big window that takes up memory and pager-space.

Sean Middleditch