Re: gnome-socket API proposal

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > Isn't there a gnome_ftp (or something like that, as part of the gftp
> > app) API? I think this could also be included in this libgnomenet. And
> > what about libghttp as well? or is it totally independent of gnome/glib?
> >

> Chris Blizzard has been trying to get people to use libwww instead of
> libghttp, libghttp is somewhat deprecated. gnomenet could maybe have a
> convenience interface or something to merge libwww with the main loop, I
> dunno if that would be useful.

IMO, libwww is quite complex for small apps, it is great for
internet-oriented apps, but if I want, for example, to load a GIF in my
app from a server, I wouldn't want to use libwww. Anyway, it is a good
idea to use libwww, since it contains code for a lot of protocols. But,
I would prefer to extend and fix libghttp, since it is, IMO, a good
small client API, whereas libwww is a complete client/server framework.

And what about the gftp API? has it been included in any gnome lib?