threaded network

Hi. We are writing an app that reads from a server via a socket.

We use a primary function that does all the job. But when the program is
in this function, the program's GUI is freezed until the function ends. I
would like that the statusbar of the mainapp show some status and progress
while the program is communicating outside.

I would like to know if there is already an approach about this in some
gnome/gtk/glib/whatever libraries. I've looked gtk_idle and friends
functions, but I'm not sure if I can implement all this network code in
idles or timeouts functions. (At least, not elegantly).

I also looked pthreads, but I'm afraid of going un-portable (The info
pages talks frecuently about linux specific issues). What should I use for
this task?

Aldrin.            "Caution! Under no circumstances confuse the mesh with the
Area de Ingenieria  interleave operator, except under confusing circumstances!"
CEC U.Chile         The INTERCAL Programming Language Revised Reference Manual