Re: Gnome-Bugs and SMTP

On Sun, Nov 14, 1999 at 09:52:23AM +1030, NotZed wrote:

> > Why not feed the report to the CGI on the crash dialog web page?
> > Then the email is sent from www.gnome.org.
>
> The system may just as well need proxies for that too ...

Yes, but which is more likely to be configured with a transparent proxy,
SMTP or HTTP?  A lot of sysadmins of corporate firewalls (foolishly, I
believe) use DENY-style blocking (no ICMP unreachable message, just make
packets vanish) on firewalled ports, which means attempted connections
just seem to hang.

I'm not trying to recommend compensating for network misconfigurations
as a general rule of thumb, but I just think direct SMTP connections are
far from the path of least resistance in a firewalled and spamblocking
world.  I agree with Havoc that HTTP makes more sense.

miket