Re: Removing a widget

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 01:54:26PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> gtk_widget_reparent() should simply do the ref/remove/add/unref thing, but
> right now it contains a weird optimization that doesn't work with some
> widgets. So it really shouldn't be used in Gtk 1.2, it should be safe in
> 1.4 (in 1.4 it will just do the ref/remove/add/unref). It does work 90% of
> the time now, just with some widgets it gets confused. If it seems to work
> in your case then it probably does.
>
> Actually I'm not sure why it isn't changed in the 1.2 series, but I know
> Owen's thought about it so there is probably a good reason.

Actually, I may be wrong, but I seem to remember I was having problems with
just that.  The applets need to be done with gtk_widget_reparent, not with
ref/remove/add/unref as that kills the plug in the process.  At least that's
what I remember.  So if this changes in 1.4, we may have to brew our own 1.2
style reparent into the panel.

George