CVS problem.

Hi,

I'm new to using CVS, and I'm having to use it through NT for reasons I
won't bore you with. When trying to update gnome I get the following error

cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvs/gnome/libIDL'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or failing that point me in the
direction of some documentation, since I couldn't find any. I've read the
stuff on the gnome site but that didn't really help.

Thanks
Steve.