cannot guess host type!

hi all!

I've done a fresh RedHat 5.2 reinstallation, and after installing only the packages I use, I went to compile glib/gtk+... and when running configure, had the message:

cannot guess host system type.....

Looking at the configure script I saw that this was in the execution of the config.guess script which makes use of uname to determine host type. But this script returns nothing although uname -m (or -r or -s or -v...) does return my host type (linux-i586).

I then tried with other packages, gtk-engines, ORBit, but always the same happens. What is the problem? I had never had something like this.

Thanks very much