Accelerators are all lower case letters!

It seems that when adding the following accelerators to a gnome app:

           {
               GNOME_APP_UI_ITEM, N_("Eat"),
               N_("eat something"),
               ghack_accelerator_selected,
               GINT_TO_POINTER('e'), NULL, GNOME_APP_PIXMAP_NONE, NULL, 'e',0
           },
           {
               GNOME_APP_UI_ITEM, N_("Engrave"),
               N_("write a message in the dust on the floor"),
               ghack_accelerator_selected,
               GINT_TO_POINTER('E'), NULL, GNOME_APP_PIXMAP_NONE, NULL, 'E',0
           },

The resulting menu only includes the 'E' and the 'e' accelerator doesn't
show up at all.  GnomeHack need to be able to show both.

Further inspection shows that gtkaccelgroup.c in gtk seems to be doing
a gdk_keyval_to_lower.  Ugh!  If I wanted the key to be lower, I surely would
have entered a lower case letter.  Is there a _good_ reason for this
behavior?  I would like to have this at least optional, so apps like GnomeHack
(which uses upper, lower, METAed, and CTLed keys) can have these defined
as accelerators.  This seems like a well intentioned, but broken feature.
There currently seems to be no way to turn off the lower-casing.

Any thoughts?

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/