Re: gnome.m4: location of gnomeConf.sh

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 01:48:44PM -0400, Aldy Hernandez wrote:
> My cromagnon application uses macros/gnome.m4 to autoconf itself.
> However, it doesn't do a good job of finding gnomeConf.sh because
> gnome.m4 defaults to checking in 'gnome_prefix/' which by default, is
> set to 'prefix/' (/usr/local).
>
> I installed gnome from RPMs so my gnome resides in /usr.  I think it
> would be nice to have gnome.m4 search in /usr for gnomeConf.sh,
> especially for when in use from stand alone gnome applications.
>
> Has someone else run into this, or should I have a separate gnome.m4
> for my application?

Please, please, please...  I'm one of the FreeBSD port maintainers for
gnome, and half of the patching is to find gnomeConf.sh, and
obgnomeConf.sh... And most of the rest is to put these files somewhere
other than lib/, which is not the right place in FreeBSD's world.

The correct place to look for them (*Conf.sh) is in ${confexecdir},
which should be an configure option, and default to ${libdir}.  See
gnome-libs/Makefile.am.  Unfortunately this is set by various Makefile's
in most packages...  If the configuration is centralised, then you don't
have to search, and it makes it much easier for cross-platform
development.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
  |   "In this world of temptation, I will stand for what is right.
--+--  With a heart of salvation, I will hold up the light.