Re: GNOME panel "menu" applet

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Augusto Cesar Radtke wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Tom Gilbert wrote:
>
>> I've always preffered a simple text-file menu system. Much easier to
>> manipulate with simple scripts/programs, easier to update/fiddle with, and
>> you can do cool things with pre-parsers (see enlightenment).
>
>I agree with you, but have one problem with simple text-file menu system,
>need to be very good structured to be easy to add/remove items. If you
>don't have utils apps to add/remove/edit items, will be very hard to
>insert/remove items. ie. you are installing a new rpm, how the scripts
>will install the menu item for this application?

******
Fair point. I didn't think of this. Redhat get around this by using
wmconfig, which converts a directory full of files (one per app) into a
flat-file menu for various wms, not a pleasant solution to maintain.

I personally edit my enlightenment menus by hand, and so hadn't considered
app installs.

PS. Just installed gnumeric, it put an icon under my Applications menu
during make install...
Kind of proves you right there... :-)

Would still like some way of including program output in menus though...
******

--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |