Re: libgtop porting advice

Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@viewlogic.com> writes:

> I'd like to port libgtop to Solaris, do you have any advice for
> libgtop ports to new systems?

Cool! There are a few instructions as I write them here (I'll at this
file to CVS as well).

First, there is a new 0.99.9 tarball. You should use this one when
porting libgtop to Solaris, it has a lot of fixes in the header files
and I just tested it with DEC OSF/1 3.2 native `cc' and BSDI 3.1; both
compiled without problems.

The tarball is not yet on ftp.gnome.org since I want to fix the broken
DEC OSF/1 port and check whether it works with Digital Unix 3.2C this
weekend.

Here the instructions:

* Edit libgtop-sysdeps.m4:

  Somewhere in the GNOME_LIBGTOP_SYSDEPS macro you'll find

	freebsd*|netbsd*|openbsd*)
	  libgtop_sysdeps_dir=freebsd
	  libgtop_use_machine_h=yes
	  libgtop_need_server=yes
	  libgtop_postinstall='chgrp kmem $(bindir)/libgtop_server && chmod 2755 $(bindir)/libgtop_server'
	  ;;

  add something like

	solaris*)
	  libgtop_sysdeps_dir=solaris
	  libgtop_use_machine_h=yes
	  libgtop_need_server=yes
	  libgtop_postinstall='chgrp kmem $(bindir)/libgtop_server && chmod 2755 $(bindir)/libgtop_server'
	  ;;

  there.

  Until you port is stable, please add it to the

	  if test x$hacker_mode = xyes ; then
	    case "$host_os" in
	    esac

  section so this will look like

	  if test x$hacker_mode = xyes ; then
	    case "$host_os" in
	      solaris*)
	        libgtop_sysdeps_dir=solaris
	        libgtop_use_machine_h=yes
	        libgtop_need_server=yes
	        libgtop_postinstall='chgrp kmem $(bindir)/libgtop_server && chmod 2755 $(bindir)/libgtop_server'
	        ;;

  If you add the check there configure will only detect Solaris as a
  valid system if you give it the `--enable-hacker-mode' parameter so
  it doesn't matter if it does not compile or not work, it won't get
  compiled for "normal" users.

* Copy sysdeps/stub_suid to sysdeps/solaris

* Run configure with --enable-hacker-mode and try a make, it should
  compile without problems.

  If not, please let me know - in this case the `stub_suid' directory
  is broken.

* Now you can start porting LibGTop ...

I don't know how similar Solaris and Sun4 are, but perhaps you can
use some code from my very old and broken sun4 port in sysdeps/sun4.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them ...

Happy porting,
--
Martin Baulig - martin@home-of-linux.org - http://www.home-of-linux.org