Re: getting desktop size

George wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 03:15:08PM -0500, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > As I see it, a hint protocol should be to tell apps or the WM things they don't
> > already know, it should not be a way to make the WM do calculations for two
> > specific clients with unusual needs.
> >
> > Incidentally, why does the panel need to track dock windows at all?
>
> to put it's windows around these ... for example to avoid icons and stuff
> (like other docks) if told .... this is another reason why it should be  a
> hint to the app from the WM ... the WM can decide that it doesn't care about
> the icons for such things ... it can also have it's docks or some areas it
> doesn't want touched ...

Again I am confused. Icons aren't dock layer, they are one of the layers below
normal windows. I also see no reason for the panel to try to place windows
around icons. Actually, I don't understand how icons relate to this at all.

> basically it should be the WM telling the panel what areas are free for it to
> use ... for example in kde the panel is override redirect ... so they already
> have some support for this ... there has to be a hint ... then gnome panel
> could be used along with kde panel without any of them eating the other's
> space

I don't understand what you're saying. To me the fact that their panel is
override redirect implies that they don't have approrpiate panel-related
hints, since override-redirect for a persistent window is a gross hack.

 - Maciej