Re: Directory remove from CVS request

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> > I want to know how to totally remove a directory from CVS.
>
> 	CVS is a revision control system, meaning it allows you to
> reproduce any prior version of your source tree.  If you checked in a
> version of your source tree that had an intl directory, then that now
> exists in your version history--whether you like it or not :).

I know this and I think it is usefull but in this case it is really
anoying.

> 	The short version is: live with it.  It won't hurt anything
> sitting in your repository, and it lets people know that, at one time, you
> created an intl directory, but then changed your mind about having it and
> removed it from the tree.

Ok watch this error message:

[...]
cvs server: Updating imap/tools
cvs update: in directory intl:
cvs update: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs server: Updating intl
cvs server: Updating libbalsa
[...]

It is really anoying. Specially if the directory never had files and was
never inteded to exist in package balsa!

> 	The long version is that you must muck with the repository itself,
> manually, which is always a bad idea.  See:

I know how to do it but I need to have access to the files on the
repository but I don't have.

                                               Bruno Pires Marinho
                                      http://camoes.rnl.ist.utl.pt/~bapm/