thread ?

Hi everybody!
My problem is more a gtk problem.
I am working on a "graphic engine"-libary. This means i provide a libary
with some functions like
"StartGraphicEngine(x,y,title)","Puttext(x,y,text)",...;
StartGraphicEngine inits all windows and calls all functions gtk needs.
But when i start gdk_main(); the program stops and only signals can be
recieved.
And there is my problem, the function StartGraphicEngine, with gdk_main
in it, is not allowed to stand idle.

I already tried to start gdk_main as a pthread but then i am not able to
call gdk_main_quit();. When i try this i get an Segfault.

Can anybody give me a sample source with gtk and threads or a better
solution for my problem.

Thanx for the support.