Re: Windows2000 coolness

> To be done Properly(tm), this requires an X alpha extension.  End of
> discussion.

	End of discussion?

	Is that to be brought to its logical conclusion of, "...and since
X does not have an alpha extension, Gnome won't have this feature"?

	Is that what Rasterman said about translucent window moves? :)

	Forget 'Properly'.  Perhaps we could put some kind of caching
engine into Gdk that would pre-compute the translucent stages of the
animation and keep them in RAM, and add some kind of 'tainting' mechanism
to Gtk+'s menus and tooltips to expire the cache upon a menu change.  Or
even compute the fades on-the-fly.

	As somebody else has already mentioned, we should accept the fact
that this effect will be a resource hog.  It must not be implemented
without an option to turn it off.  But for those which have the hardware
(and there are many) it would certainly make Gnome the preferable Unix
desktop environment.

--Derek