Re: Simplifying package installation.

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> RPM needs root access.

You can change what RPM considers the root directory (/) to any other directory and use a database other than the "main" one at /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm.  These flags are used to do this:

    --root
    --dbpath

The user can otherwise "run" RPM without the root account.  The flags will let him set up an RPM installation and database wherever he wants it.

But I could be wrong :-)

I would agree on an extension to RPM, as some others have suggested.  Maybe GPM, but isn't that name taken?

BTW, didn't Havoc just ball us out for posting this sort of thing on the list?

> Everyone, please keep in mind that gnome-devel-list is for
> questions about developing applications with GNOME or development
> of the GNOME libraries; wishlist items, feature requests, UI
> discussions, etc. should go to gnome-list or gnome-gui-list
> and should not be posted or cross-posted to gnome-devel-list.

Cheers.
Jeff