Re: how efficient is the canvas

Federico Mena Quintero <federico@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:

> >  > No, the GnomeCanvasImage item will not copy the image.  It just keeps
> >  > a pointer to the original image, so multiple image items will share
> >  > it.
> >
> >  But it creates separate pixmaps & masks, which make it still unefficient
> >  for bunches of identical images.
>
> Actually it uses gdk_imlib_move_image() and gdk_imlib_move_mask(),
> which do share the rendered pixmaps with other parts of the program,
> including the rest of the canvas.

Federico, Federico, Federico... haven't you learned yet
not to expect imlib to do what you expect? ;-)

move_image() and move_mask() zero out the fields of
the imlib image ... and if you have the cache turned
off (as we do for GNOME) the image will have to
be re-rendered next time around.

Regards,
                                        Owen