Re: MIME extensions

Michael Rogers wrote:

> >At the moment, file extensions are used. Hopefully, they will be
> >replaced with the actual file type, but before that happens, Gmc needs a
> >way to deal with network mounts intellegently (and turn off things like
> >"file" for a network mount).
>
> You only need to check the file types of the files whose icons are
> visible, which won't be more than 20 or so at a time, so all the worries
> about 10,000 open() calls are a bit excessive. Would 20 open() calls over
> a network really be a problem?
>
> Michael Rogers

Well, that means multiple separate network requests over a period of
time, which means the app will load the directory quicker, but actually
browse through it slower. This isn't a good thing.

I think it's best to simply use file extension as a mime-type determiner
unless the user explicitly specifies "Yes, I want my network mounts to
run slower".

Admins should also have the ability to disable the "Yes, I want my
network mounts to run slower" feature irregardless of user prefs, IMHO.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill