Unifying gnome-mailer/gnome-mailcheck

I'm posting this message to gnome-devel, even though most of the
current discussion on Miguel's proposed new mailer is taking place on
gnome-list (and gnome-announce-list :)), because this is, at its
core, a development question:

Several people have already asked what the relationship between balsa
and the new gnome-mailer is going to be, and I have a related
question: what do we want to do about the gnome-mailcheck (aka
libmailcheck) project we talked about on this list last month?  I
have a core of (still buggy) code in CVS, but it doesn't really make
sense to duplicate the effort in both modules...  OTOH,
gnome-mailcheck might be slightly further along then gnome-mailer at
this point, if only because it has much more narrowly focused goals.
(I asked about this earlier, and Bertrand indicated that he wouldn't
want to hold up my work on the library for his mailer project; that,
however, was before Miguel's announcement, and the transition to C
for gnome-mailer...)

I see two main areas of interest.  The first, and most important, is
the sharing of the "mail backends": that is, each project will
probably need code to talk to POP3 and IMAP servers, read MH and MBOX
folders, etc.  gnome-mailcheck only needs to be able to count
messages, but particularly in the case of the remote mailboxes, the
common network code might be reasonably substantial.

The second issue is the CORBA namespace.  Currently, the mailcheck
interface is using GNOME::MailCheckServer and GNOME::MailCheckClient.
 Should those move to GNOME::Mail::CheckServer and
GNOME::Mail::CheckClient (or similar names)?  Does this level of
hierarchy matter/help?

I'm going to keep plugging away at the mailcheck code, but before I
start working with the actual mailbox formats, I'd like to have a
better idea of where we're going with the mail libraries...

-Russell
--
Russell Steinthal
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College Class of 1999