Auto-generation problems

I've been trying to get autoconf/automake to work for libmailcheck
(so I can get it in CVS), but am having some persistent problems.
While I know it's not exactly a GNOME programming problem, I'm hoping
someone can give me a hand.  (Thanks to Martijn van Beers, BTW, who
already took a stab at helping me through private mail...)  (And at
least some of the errors seem to be related to GNOME macro stuff.)

I've stolen the macros/ and intl/ directories from another GNOME app
I checked out of CVS (I think it was control-center), since I
understand those are added automatically in CVS.   I've setup a
configure.in and Makefile.am's in each of the subdirectories, and I
*think* those are in order.

Anyway, here's the output of autogen.sh:

[steintr@condor mailcheck]$ ./autogen.sh
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

processing .
Running libtoolize...
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
Running autoheader...
/usr/bin/autoheader: Symbol `HAVE_LIBSM' is not covered by
/usr/share/autoconf/acconfig.h
Running automake --gnu  ...
server/Makefile.am:22: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
server/Makefile.am:22: variable `ORB_LIBS' not defined
Running autoconf ...
processing ./t
Running libtoolize...
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `..'.
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
Running autoheader...
/usr/bin/autoheader: Symbol `HAVE_LIBSM' is not covered by
/usr/share/autoconf/acconfig.h
Running automake --gnu  ...
automake: lib/Makefile.am: not supported: source file
`../common/GnomeMailbox.c' is in subdirectory
automake: lib/Makefile.am: not supported: source file
`../common/GnomeMailbox.h' is in subdirectory
automake: lib/Makefile.am: not supported: source file
`../common/sequence.c' is in subdirectory
server/Makefile.am:32: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
server/Makefile.am:32: variable `ORB_LIBS' not defined
Running autoconf ...
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-compile-warnings
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
./configure: ./configure: line 801: `;'
[steintr@condor mailcheck]$

Line 801 of configure, where it bombs out, is a stray semicolon in
column 0; editing it out lets configure run successfully.  The
Makefile which is produced, however, dies with a "Makefile:288: ***
missing separator. Stop." error on make all.

I have a feeling I'm running the wrong version of something, but I've
installed the most up-to-date versions I can find: autoconf 2.13,
automake 1.4, GNU Make 3.76.1.

Any help would be appreciated, and my apologies again for the long
message.

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal