Re: Gnome 2.2 /RHEL 3 Default Panel Question

On Dec 10, 2003, at 2:59 PM, Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 14:46, Matthew Walburn wrote:
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone here could point me to some
documentation or a howto on how to add the Terminal launcher (or a
custom launcher) onto the panel so that any new user will also receive
the customization. I have looked at the GNOME 2.2 admin guide over and
over, but I still can't get it happening.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Check the list archives, I posted some info on this recently. Let us
know if it's helpful.

Thanks for the reply Havoc. The following was the most helpful, and indeed this does seem to be the way things work on GNOME 2.4. However, I was hoping you could clarify a little bit for me in regard to GNOME 2.4

3. The real fun one - /apps/panel/default_setup. When you log in the
first time and there are no profiles, the panel _copies manually_ the
   contents of /apps/panel/default_setup to a new profile. So the panel
   has its sort of own layer of weird on top of gconf.

Does this mean if I create a panel profile and copy it to:

/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/default_setup

That it should be copied over to the user's ~/.gconf if they don't already have one?
Or, am I supposed to copy it to the location below... presumably:

/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/profiles/default

So, I _believe_ you should be able to create a profile in
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults, under /apps/panel/profiles/, and the
panel would then simply ignore /apps/panel/default_setup.

I've tried it in both locations, and it still seems to be pulling all it's information for the profile from the schemas.

Thanks for any tips you may have!

-Matthew

--
Matthew Walburn, RHCE, CCNA