Re: [gnome-db] oracle plugin

On 5/11/05, david ng <davidn001 yahoo com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I just installed Mergeant 0.12.1 and would like to
> connect to an Oracle 9i DB. Were can I obtain the
> oracle plugin? Do I need to  have SQLPLUS client
> installed in order to connect?

First thing, don't use versions of Mergeant < 0.50 as they are not
maintained anymore and are buggy. Please try newer versions (and if
possible the version in CVS as I'm doing some work on the providers
and specifically Oracle). With the CVS version of Mergeant, using an
Oracle database does not yet fully works.

To answer your question, you need to compile libgda with Oracle
support (Mergeant relies on libgda) and doing so requires to have the
Oracle client libraries installed. I cant' tell you exactely which
files are required since I've never been able to sort that out, but
the "oci.h" is the file being included in the Oracle's provider
(plugin) and the "libclntsh.so" is the shared library used.

Maybe it's a good idea to set the ORACLE_HOME variable to help the
configure script find your Oracle installation.

Cheers,