Re: [gnome-db] Introducing non blocking (asynchronous) functions in libgda

On 4/19/05, DANIELLLANO <DANIELLLANO terra es> wrote:
> Vivien Malerba wrote:
> > I want to introduce non blocking (asynchronous) functions in libgda.
>
> Great to know about that!!!
>
> I'd like to see libgda having all the current blocking functions moving
> to non blocking functions.
>
> Do you have any more specific plans about that?

I've written a small object (GdaThreader) which makes it easy to run a
new thread and be notified when the thread finishes (the notification
itself occurs in an idle loop in the main thread, not in the thread
which has finished, which makes it easy to use it with GTK). That
object needs a bit more work (add mutexes to some variables) and is
useable (Mergeant uses it).

I planned to use it in libgda to make asychronous queries to a
GdaConnection (thus creating a
gda_connection_execute_single_command_async() method), but I don't
have a timetable for that, and it's not on my current TODO list.

Adding asynchronous calls to other parts of libgda should not be very
difficult, but beware tha no internal variable or object is thread
aware at this point...

The GdaThreader object is quite simple by itself, and you can see how
it's used in mergeant.

Cheers,