Re: [gnome-db] Database Name Missing in the New Data Source Wizard

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 15:20 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 13:19 -0500, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
> > Testing Version 1.1.6
> >
> > If you try to create a new Data Source, the Wizar
> > don't ask you for the Data Base Name, and as user
> > normaly prefer don't to fill the parameters, becouse I
> > think it for advanced users.
> >
> > I think the first step to fill up the minimum
> > information to access a data source (supouse the so
> > called advanced options are defaults) in the Wizard
> > 'must' be there.
> >
> > This 'advanced options' are in english, and a spanish
> > peaple normaly don't take care about it.
> >
> > In my case, I create a new data source and don't take
> > care about this options, and I can't connect becouse I
> > don't fill up the database name (it's basic for
> > conecting).
> >
> > This is just a point of view from an end user.
> >
> I've been thinking on the new data source dialog, and I think a good way
> of simplifying that dialog would be to extend the information returned
> by the providers' get_connection_params method. Instead of returning
> just a string, which is what they do right now, they could return a list
> of structures, each one containing:
> 	- the name of the argument to be used in the connection string
> 	- a short description, to be used in the new DSN dialog
> 	- the type of the value
> 	- whether it's required or not.
>
> With this, the dialog can have a more descriptive look.

ok, this is now done in CVS HEAD. I've only done the changes needed for
the providers to return more descriptive information about each
argument. I've changed only a little bit the druid's GUI to display more
descriptive messages for the arguments.

What is missing is the changes for dealing with the arguments' types.
That is, show a checkbox when it's a boolean, check for correctness when
it's a number, etc.

If anyone wants to work on that, please go ahead and we'll include it in
the soon-to-be-released 1.2. If not, I'll do it myself after 1.2
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>