Re: [gnome-db] please help connecting to databse

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:59:51 -0700, Neil Zanella <nzanella gmail com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am trying to connect to a PostgreSQL
> database. I issue the following:
>
> gchar *provider = "PostgreSQL";
> gchar *cnc_string = "HOST=localhost;PORT=5432;DATABASE=joedb;USER=joedoe";

Try with cnc_string = "HOST=DATABASE=joedb;USER=joedoe";

Explanation: the postmaster (Postgres's daemon) usually only accepts
connections on a local Unix domain socket (usually
/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432). However, if you add the -i option to the
postmaster (man postmaster), it will create a TCP/IP socket for port
5432.

If the connection string contains the HOST parameter, then libgda will
try to use a TCP/IP socket which does not seem to be present in your
case.

Cheers,