Re: [gnome-db] Re: Abiword report generator [was Re: Dynamic dataqueries]

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 23:48 +1100, msevior physics unimelb edu au wrote:

> > On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 05:58 +1100, msevior physics unimelb edu au wrote:
> >

> >> It is easy enough to make a "Insert Data base element" as a field with
> >> some SQL query or higher level abstraction assosciated with it and have
> >> it
> >> update in the doc in real time. This is at the expense of doing a
> >> data-base query every N seconds. I guess you'd call this a "pull" from
> >> AbiWord. I think this would be rather easy to implement with libgda. I
> >> should speak to Rodrigo about it.
> >>
> > yes, should be pretty easy. What else do you need to know? Anything I
> > can do to help?
> >

> Firstly I have some general questions. How expensive is it to do a DB
> query?

depends on the query, on the server, on the network load (if via
network), etc, so hard to say.

>  Is there a clever way to cache the result of a query? We only need
> to refresh it if DB is changed.

hmm, we probably should add support to libgda to refresh the loaded data
models. Thus, you will have to do the query just once, and keeping the
data model around, you will get notified of any change in the database,
doing any update you need to.

For some providers that won't be possible, but for others, like
postgres, it's perfectly possible.

> Next is libgda going to use the new gnome-keyring feature? It would be
> nice and more secure to store the username/password of a DB connection
> with that facility rather relying on AbiWord to securely store them.

makes a lot of sense, yes. There was no plan to do it, but it might be a
good idea to use it. I'll add it to the TODO list.