Re: [gnome-db] getting started

>> > this is very old, don't use gnome-db, use mergeant (www.gnome-db.org)
>> > instead, or glom (www.glom.org)
>>
>> Glom is not useful for creating data connections/sources. It uses only
>> PostgresSQL and it stores the connection information separately from the
>> regular libgda data connections.
>>
> what's the reason for only accessing PostgreSQL?

It's mostly because of

1. The non-standard SQL that you need to use when changing column types
and casting data when converting column types. You have added some
functions to do this recently in libgda but I am not confident that they
can be implemented usefully for most backends. But it would be sensible to
try to use them at some point.

2. Glom developers/users should not care what backend is used, so I remove
the choice. Glom is for creating and using new databases, not accessing
existing non-Glom databases.

www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com