[gnome-db] Re: Gnome Programming & App Development Theory & Practice

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 09:32:56AM +0530, Biju Chacko was heard to remark:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:54:34 -0500
>
> > http://qof.sourceforge.net/why-qof.html
> > http://dwi.sourceforge.net/
>
> (www.gnue.org)
> up with a declaratory language for form descriptions, but nevertheless

> However, it seems to require a fair amount of procedural code to do
> anything non-trivial.

Well, That "depends".  First, as an example, even if one uses
a GUI builder to design your GUI, instead of hand-coding, there
is still "the rest of your application" which won't be trivial.
But having a GUI builder is still an improvement.

Secondly, I've managed to convince myself that there is a *huge*
class of apps, including bug trackers and blogging tools, that
could be described purely and totally in a declarative style.
So, for these types of apps, one could get rid of the proceedural
coding entirely.  And that is at least part of what I want to do.

--linas

p.s. where's Seth Nickell these days?  I want to talk to him.

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>