RE: [gnome-db] getting mergeant to 1.0

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> * the UI should be more document oriented, or, IMO, should just not use
> a file at all. That is, since we use data sources, it just adds
> confusion to have users opening a .mergeant file and then defining a
> data source for that file. I think we should just use data sources.

> * since mergeant keeps a lot of info in the file, and if we dont use it,
> we could have a private area ($HOME/.mergeant) where all that info is
> kept. A sort of cache, but totally transparent to users.

This might make sense from a POV of a DB administrator, i.e., this cached
information is only relevant to him and can be kept hidden.

However, from the POV a database application developer (think MS Access), it
makes sense to have a file containing the frontend application (definition
of tables, queries, forms, reports and scripts for the logic). This file can
then be distributed, supporting different DBMS but having the same database
dictionary.

I understand there is not much for a DB application developer in mergeant,
but the potential is there. It seems to me, "caching" this data in a
$HOME/.mergeant directory steers away from this direction, which I find a
pity, as I'm sure many windows (power) users of MS Office/Access looking at
gnome Office will.

my 0.02€

Regards,
Fernando Martins