Re: [gnome-db] mergeant & oracle

On 2003.10.20 16:08, Intelligent wrote:

Intelligent,

I case you haven't guess I am the current maintainer for the Oracle GDA provider which came about because, like you, I wanted to use it and there was no maintainer at the time.

it takes about _2_ hours to start up... ))
then it started, i try to switch views (tables, views, sequences.. in
order) then it crash.

When the current mergeant first connects to a new data source it asks the provider for a list of tables and for each table it asks for various other information like the list of columns, what the primary key is etc.

For the Oracle provider, the list of tables concerned is all those owned by the user you are connected to Oracle as. If you log in to Oracle as SYS or SYSTEM this usually means several hundred tables and mergeant will take a very long time to start.

As fas as I know the new version of mergeant being written now will use an incremental approach to building up this information and will therefore start more quickly in this situation.

The work-around for the time being is to avoid logging in to the database as either of SYS or SYSTEM.

Steve.